Search This Blog

Sunday, July 18, 2010

A Family Doctor's Tale - HALITOSIS

DOC I HAVE BAD BREATH

Ever have patients coming to you with bad breath. Every family clinic is bound to have someone with throat infection or gastric problem like indigestion.

Halitosis is the condition when a person suffers from chronic bad breath.



Halitosis is usually caused by the following:

Infections:
1.bacterial infection of the gum, dental cavities.(There are 600 types of bacteria present in mouth)


2.anaerobic infections of the mouth,


3.Infection of the tonsils, nose and sinuses(postnasal drip)
(A Simple Guide to Sinusitis)


Gastric problems and indigestion:
1. Indigestion of food in the stomach can cause the undigested food in the stomach to emit an offensive smell through the mouth


2.gastroesophageal reflux of food ( A Simple Guide to Gastritis) can also cause the smell of acid and undigested food in the mouth


Certain food:
1.garlic and onions which has odious suphur compounds can give rise to foul smell from the mouth


2.fish


3.cheese


4.alcohol


Smoking:
Cigarettes smokes contains 40 over chemicals which cause bad mouth smell


Dry mouth:
1. Insufficient drinking of water


2.medications can cause dry mouth and produces a smell from the mouth


Systemic diseases:
1.liver failure.


2.Lower respiratory tract infections


3.Renal infections and renal failure.


4.Carcinoma of the Mouth and Salivary Gland( A Simple Guide to Salivary Gland Cancer) .


5.Trimethylaminuria ("fish odor syndrome").


6.Diabetes mellitus.( A Simple Guide to Diabetes )




Persons who has halitosis has the following
Symptoms:
1.Bad breath


2.Dry mouth


Signs:
1.discharge from nose or tonsils


2.furry tongue



Treatment involve:
1.Appropriate antibiotics, antifungal medications for infections of mouth


2.drinking several glasses of water a day prevents dryness of mouth


3.Eating a healthy breakfast helps clean the back of the tongue


4.Proper oral hygiene after eating: brushing of teeth and flossing. Dentures should be removed at bedtime and soaked overnight in antibacterial solutions.


5.Avoid smoking


6.Gargle mouth after every meal.
Avoid the use of alcohol based mouth washes.
Use instead oil based mouth washes.


7.Chewing sugarless gum helps to stimulate production of saliva and hence less bad breath


8.Treat underlying condition such as diabetes, liver, kidney and other conditions.



Prognosis is usually good with proper oral hygiene.


Recurrence is quite common.

2 comments:

  1. Re: Bad breath I had it for about 18 years. I was Ms. unpopular. For a long time I was thinking my life was not worth living. I tried every product I could buy and found they were no help at all, even the ones that cost $200 per month. I didn’t think to read about it on the web until one day a person I didn’t even know told me I had really bad breath and said she had it once too and told me to check online for a site called OralTech Labs as it worked to cure her bad breath. I was thinking how nice she was as most people just hold their nose and walk away from me. Anyway I followed badbreathcure.com.au advice and after a week I noticed my tongue started turning red and the bad taste was gone from my mouth. I started noticing people had stopped holding their nose and trying to get away from me. A few months later I bumped into her again. I told her I used her advice and thought it worked, she asked me to breath out in to her face while she smelt it and she is like smiling and said my breaths is fresh now. I hugged her, I didn’t tell her what I was thinking just a few months earlier, but her and that site was a life saver to me. Don’t let bad breath ruin your life like it tried to do to me. Another site I found useful is HomeBadBreathTest it shows you how to test your breath without leaving home. When I asked my Doctor who is an EMT bacterial researcher about the site he said it’s the oral research laboratories and there are 3 websites publishing the monthly reports from Oraltech Labs. I said why didn’t he tell me before? He said I didn’t ask him, which was true. He said all bad breath sufferers should visit OralTech Labs website as his clients (including me) report very good oral health outcomes after following their advice. Anyway I Hope this helps you, Jenny Wilson, SD.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe to my RSS:

Subscribe in a reader Share and Enjoy: These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages. Click on: bookmark at folkd

Add to Google Reader or Homepage


Search Engine Optimization and SEO Tools
Online Marketing Toplist Submit URL Free to Search Engines

Bookmark and Share

Ads by Adbrite

Clicktale

Networked Blogs

Labels

 
Search Engine Submission - AddMe